For Manitoba 150, project topics are to reflect the historic aspect of Manitoba, not the modern and current 21st century world
Your Birthday in History
Explore Manitoba history using notable events that happened on your birth dates in history. For more inspiration about the Your Birthday in History option click here.
What was the lead up to Manitoba joining Confederation? Who was involved? What were the Pros and Cons of Confederation?
- The political parties – who was involved?
- Why did Manitoba join confederation? – what was promised to them?
- The First Prime Minister – John A MacDonald
- First Premier of Manitoba
- Current topics in 1870
- Inventions of the time
- Medicines in the 1800’s
Canadian events, people, historic significance
- Why did the Métis resist the westward expansion of Canada, and what were the consequences?
- What are the contributions of Louis Riel to Manitoba
- How did territorial growth, immigration, and industrialization change life for men and women in Manitoba?
- How did Manitoba’s relationship with First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples change after Confederation?
- How was Manitoba’s identity as a province shaped by the First World War and by its changing relationship to Great Britain and the world?
- What was the role of women during the First World War?
- Who were the Suffragists? How were they different from Suffragettes? What did they first accomplish in Manitoba in 1916?
- What impact did the Influenza Epidemic 1919 have in Manitoba/Canada?
- What led up to Winnipeg General Strike 1919?